Saturday, March 27, 2010

phil keagy's willow tree

I'm a late convert to Phil Keagy. I'm not sure why because I love his music. This morning I was listening to his 2007 album The Song Within and fell in love with all of it. And one little thing in particular jumped out at me from the 12th track entitled "Willow Tree". There's just a little harp-like effect that he does and I'll share how I play it. Here's the passage in question, which occurs right around 0:31:

The issue is handling the pull off from the A to the E. It's what I call a 'delayed pull off' because you wait to pull it off until after you play the (in this case) the F# on the 2nd string. The trick to playing the thing light and airy is to use one finger and drag it across the strings. I use my i (index) finger: pluck the A, F#, pull off the A to E, pluck the D. Now that the i is on D you're all set to use your m and a (middle and ring) fingers for the arpeggiated chord.

Give it a go: it's quite lovely...

No comments:

Post a Comment