Friday, March 19, 2010

max: kiss me kiss me, baby

Ahh, Max, how I love them. And my favorite song is this delicious tune Kiss Me Kiss Me, Baby (1996), from which I'm offering the signature synth lick on today's post. It's doable on guitar (play it up an octave): even though the picking will have to be fast to keep up it's mainly pentatonic (it's at around a quarter = 128, but depending upon how you finger it the jumps can be a bit tricky). Anyway, play it on whatever instrument at whatever tempo...and because it's pentatonicly pliable -- and has a great shape -- it sounds awesome re-purposed. Basically it's over the chords Bb, C and Dmin.

Clicking on the following image will enlarge it:


I broke with convention in notating the 16th tied to an 8th in the 3rd beat of the first measure (and when the same repeats in measure 5) just to drive home the fact visually that it's the very same rhythm as in the in the first beat going to the second.

Here's a youtube link of the tune, although this "live" version is better. (The above starts at 0:27 on both clips.)

No comments:

Post a Comment