Thursday, April 8, 2010

diamond dust

My all time favorite Jeff Beck tune (and there are a LOT of good ones from which to choose) from the classic album Blow By Blow. I think George Martin did the orchestration. This is the first chorus of the solo. Click on the image to get a bigger gif:



Some things to note about the tune: a couple of minMaj7ths and it's in 5. Also Beck does a great job of changing up whether he's starting phrases right on the 1 of the measure or not. And I noted on the chart where he goes for the Lydian mode.

Some issues: I did this transcription years ago, and even if I did it today I'd say don't get too hung up on the rhythmic values. Also I don't think that I'd play the notes the same way/places (but the notes themselves are accurate). And the chords get kind of approximate here and there...having said that it'll get you in the game. Lastly I did this in PowerTab (which is awesome) but the accidentals aren't really the ones I'd like to see. The only way around this would be to have the key signature change every measure or so at sections which is not really a great way to go. A good exercise in thinking enharmonically.

If you're interested in learning the head I have that up on my site:
diamond dust head.

This tune should be a standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment