Saturday, February 6, 2010

old time music

Old Time Music is that style of music which eventually gave birth to both Bluegrass and Country. It's basically the music which came with the European settlers, especially those from Ireland, England and Scotland. If you're interested in hearing any of it and don't have access to live performances you can try the Smithsonian collection entitled Classic Old-Time Music.


The collection of music is extremely diverse. There are instrumental tunes like Bonaparte's Retreat, Concord Rag and Wednesday Waltz. There are funny tunes like Bill Morgan and His Gal; very sad songs like Cyclone of Rye Clover; the ubiquitous songs detailing a man killing a prostitute as in Little Sadie and Pretty Polly; and of course religious tunes like Streets of Glory.

And just in case you think that all of these tunes represent old-time family values here's a verse from one of my faves from the album, "Policeman" by the Spare Change Boys:

I got drunk and I fell on the floor this morning
I got drunk and I fell on the floor this morning

I got drunk and I fell on the floor

That's good pouring whiskey and I want some more
this morning

All in all the music is highly infectious, full of life (in all its multi-dimensionality) and a good time, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment