Sunday, February 20, 2011

the fan man

I read this book last year and looooved it. The main character -- Horse Badorties -- is a hippie who's exclusively into medieval music. He lives in the Lower East Side and has a choir of young runaway girls and has them hold tiny battery-powered fans which emit to him a beautiful sound. A great, weird book. Horse's hatred of Puerto Rican music parallels my own detesting of Dominican music...



Click here to read what wikipedia has to say about the novel. If you read and enjoyed Confederacy of Dunces you'll dig this...highly recommended.

And if you do read it try to get the illustrated version (though it looks like the newer edition has a forward by Vonnegut which must be a great read).

2 comments:

  1. Of course this is highly fictionalized- but I & several friends from around Tompkins square are parodied, A more recent 'novel' By Marc Estrin :"The Annotated Nose..." references the same real musician, call me if you want to know who!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for your comment and I'm so, so sorry that I just now saw it (I've been negligent with respect to this blog for several months). I think I know who the real musician is based upon, but I haven't read the other book (I think there's even another one). Which character in the book closest resembled you?

    ReplyDelete